When I started sewing, little did I know there would be so many details. It's important to be meticulous about them. As I was sewing my swing dress, I tried something a little different today. I used my gauge. Bought it years ago thinking, I need this, but threw it into a drawer and it hasn't seen the light of day since. I am finding a gauge is great for keeping me on course while ironing a seam allowance up or putting a hem in. In the past, I tried to eyeball a seam allowance and found I make them too big and a bit out of the lines. This belt needed to be shaped with much care because it's top-stitched and the very shape of it is going to stand out on this swing dress. Working with the belt, I used my gauge to get an exact 1/2inch seam allowance, once I did that, I was able to eyeball the other half CHECKING my work as I went. It worked splendidly. I am loving my gauge! Our house also received a new iron for Christmas. Our old one is from 1986, my husband received it as a gift before we were married, so I inherited it 20 years ago. I can't say enough about having a good iron. It's a Rowenta. It really streams well and is a step up from my old iron.
|I used interfacing on the belt, as Casey suggested, It really makes a difference.|
|I needed to iron this before the picture!|
The gathers in the swing dress were hard to placed correctly, they needed to be shaped in the right direction. So, I did the standard two row of stitches and fiddled with them a lot. I am hopeful this dress will work out well. I will be posting about it once more when it's finished, for now that's what I have been working on. Lots of adjustments to be made but hopefully it will be a keeper.
Have a happy vintage day!