1. A book called Fit for Real People by Pati Palmer and Marta Alto. This book shows you how to get a better fit. One day, I read it cover to cover while hanging out with my kiddos at Chuck E.Cheese of all places. Since then, I can make adjustments to any pattern based on the pictures of this book, so helpful to the visual learner!
|Not the best picture because of the reflection of the paper but you can see the fit as you go process, it works pretty well.|
3. My homemade dress form. Yes, we made it. One day last year, Hubby taped me up with about 5 rolls of duct tape.The idea is that you will get a form that is your exact body, which is scary for me but great for dressmaking. Check it out here. Here is a you-tube video too. I think because of this form my hems come out even, since the form is shaped like my front and back, everything hangs like it would on me. If you are going to try this, stuff your form really well, mine has deflated a bit over the last year but I am going to open her up and get her adjusted. Other than that she has been great to use!
|This was a fun day at our house, my kids were jumping around saying" Papa I want one too, please tape me up."|
|Here's the result, not bad! You have to stuff her from time to time but she was inexpensive and accurate for dress making. I like having a bra on her, so I know how low my neckline is getting!.|
4. Seam ripper, need I say more, we have a love/hate relationship for sure!
5. Scissors, and thread scissors. These little thread scissors are my constant companion while sewing. My hand got so use to using them that I don't cut threads off without them very well. Love these!
6. Marking pins, I have tried to sew without marking, it doesn't work very well.
7. Invisible zipper foot. I am glad I brought one, I am trying to put in only invisible zippers not very vintage of me, but gee they look so much better.
8. I also found that I needed hanging space in my sewing area. I had pins and fabric bunched up on my counter, now I hang all my projects and can get to them quickly. I found this shelf/hanger in one of our closets, unused, so we popped it up and it works great to keep me organized.
These are my top few tools, I am keeping in mind not to collect too much stuff, I find when I have too much, my things get in the way and I don't enjoy the hunting, cleaning, sifting through "stuff" to get to that item that will help.
Have a wonderful Vintage day!